About Us

How to Claim Unpaid Wages After Being Fired

States have different laws for the payment of final paychecks, and you need to understand the laws of your state when trying to claim unpaid wages after being fired. Filing a wage claim generally doesn’t cost anything upfront, and legally, you deserve to be paid for work done.

Filing an unpaid wage claim with an employment attorney can help you assess your claim and seek compensation when the employer unlawfully withholds your final pay check.

Can You Claim Unpaid Wages After Being Fired?

It is unlawful for your employer to withhold wages due to termination. You are always entitled to money for any unpaid wages, whether employed or not. Your final pay check should include overtime, vacation pay, and bonus pay still owing.

How Soon After Dismissal Should You Be Paid?

When you receive your final pay check depends on your state. It is either on the next scheduled payday, a specific number of days after termination, within 72 hours, or by the end of the next business day.

Generally, your employer is required to pay your final wages no later than the next regularly scheduled payday. However, state law determines when the employer must deliver your final pay check and there may be additional factors that could impact the timing of your final pay check. If you are unsure about your unique situation, consulting with an employment lawyer can help you clarify the situation and your next steps.

Attempt to Resolve the Situation

Before filing a wage claim, you can approach the HR department if you are comfortable doing so and request a meeting with your employer. You can also email your employer to clarify your delayed wage payment. Sometimes you can resolve the issue amicably, but often you will need to take it a step further and file a wage claim.

Filing a Wage Claim

You can file a wage claim with the Wage and Hour Division of the Department of Labor. This is at no cost to you, but it can be a very long process. However, state wage claims generally recover less in unpaid wages, which is why you may want to consider an employment attorney like Rowdy Meeks Legal Group LLC.

Choosing an Employment Lawyer to Help You Claim Unpaid Wages After Being Fired

If your employer doesn’t cooperate with your wage requests, an attorney can help. Sometimes, just consulting with an employment lawyer can help prompt a reluctant employer to release earned wages because the employer wants to avoid going to court. Rowdy Meeks Legal Group LLC will vigorously fight for wages legally owed to employees. An employment attorney can also help you navigate the legal system, and provide information and guidance based on your state laws.

You want to choose an attorney who understands the wage situation for both salaried and hourly employees, will educate you on your rights, and will determine if you have a case. The right employment lawyer will help you pursue unpaid wages, and fight against wage discrepancies like overtime and vacation days. Pursuing an unpaid wage claim after being fired with an attorney means they understand the FLSA, including provisions for overtime and specific state laws such as minimum wage and exemption. In addition, it ensures a robust process to help you fight for the money you are legally owed.

Rowdy Meeks Legal Group LLC: Fighting Wage Disputes Across the Country

Being fired from your job already has you at a financial disadvantage. This situation worsens when you are not paid the wages you are legally owed. Rowdy Meeks Legal Group LLC is committed to pursuing cases of unpaid wages, so if you want to claim unpaid wages after being fired, contact us for a free case evaluation.